Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Snow Warning

This past weekend Monty and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary. It was my turn to plan and I decided we would have a nice weekend out in nature. I found a cute little bed and breakfast up Big Cottonwood Canyon and got a killer deal on it because ski season is over. So we went up for the night and then I figured we'd do some hiking in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I'd never been up there but had heard there were some great trails. I figured being a higher elevation we might need light jackets (which I forgot) but thought nothing else of it. Saturday morning we headed off toward the trail head for the hike I chose and we were met with snow. Not a few skiffs of snow but over 2 FEET in places on the trail. Luckily it was warm and we didn't need the jackets but it was an adventure trying to keep to the trail in the snow.

The snow didn't cover everything, just pretty much the places that didn't get much sun. The hike up was OK because you could usually get a grip in the snow by kicking into the top layer of ice. However coming back down once it had warmed up was a different story. I was up to my knees more than once when a foot when all the way into the snow.

This picture is kinda dark but it shows the river we followed for most of the hike. It was beautiful, and definitely worth the sight at the end.

At the top is the water coming out of the middle of a rock. Monty nearly fell in the water trying to get this picture. You can hike up to the top of the waterfall but due to all the snow we opted not too.


It was a pretty hike and fairly easy which was good for the first one of the year. We are going to try it again later in the summer when we can hike to the top. Without the snow!

1 comment: